Friday, 23 September 2016

African Wedding




For those who know me personally, they know I love all things weddings. I love the way a wedding is personalized to a couple's interest, commonalities, and tastes. I love the approach that is taken in planning a wedding and the process from concept-generating to executing every moment, detail, and vision. I love the incorporation of one's culture and customs and perhaps even faux pas additions for the modern lovebirds. I love being able to learn and gain new experiences and a few weeks ago, I attended a wedding that was a beautiful expression of all these elements.

I've never been to an African wedding before, and ironically, you don't need to know the couple personally to attend an African wedding as they usually extend an open invitation. Mind you, I'm not a wedding crasher! As timing would have it, an African community that utilizes my church's space happened to have a couple getting married and they extended the invite to the rest of the congregation. I was thrilled in anticipation to attend and see what the hype would be about. This is an inaugural testament of my experience first hand as a love story unfolded beautifully.


My friend and I attending the wedding. 


The Colours

Bright, bold, and vibrant. I loved the gowns! From traditional silky fabrics adorned in layers to bright A-line ballgowns straight out of Vogue. The details, embellishments, and charm was undeniably exquisite. The traditional prints adorned on the popularly-sighted maxis were simply gorgeous and a visual runway for the eyes. My favourite was this lime green strapless gown with bold spring flowers. 

My biggest dilemma was uncertainty of what to wear. Debating between going the western way of dressing or adding more traditional elements, I opted for a coral red maxi dress with a batik print I had got from Bali paired with a boxy black top. 





The Food

Home cooking at its finest. I enjoyed the traditionally seasoned meats paired with common western options of various salads, cold cuts, and potatoes. The food were served from large aluminium tins and were heated over chafing dishes to keep the food warm due to the later eating time. 

FYI, African weddings, have no time constraints, and tend to go on an unscheduled schedule. The speeches, story telling, and entertainment came first before eating which was different from what I was use to.





The Vibe

Upbeat, lively, and energetic. African weddings consisted of so many different beats and dances, and I loved every moment of it. The couple even hired dancers to do traditional dances throughout the night. It was really neat to see the bridal party dance down the aisle to a cultural beat - made you even want to groove right along. 

Overall, it was amazing to have this opportunity and have a first hand experience of an African community celebrating the love story of a very sweet couple. I would definitely go again, and this time, I'll know exactly what to wear! 


xo Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment